Car Repacement

Can I Sue in Small Claims for the difference between my insurance settlement for my car and the reasonable replacement price.

Asked on August 23, 2016 under Accident Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In order to receive the settlement check, you had to sign a release of all claims against the other party. Therefore, you cannot file another lawsuit against the other party in the same case.
If you were dissatisfied with the amount of the settlement, you should have rejected it and sued the at-fault party for negligence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.