Can you be suspended from work for not joining a union on the spot?

My regional manager who isnt in the union himself suspended me. I wanted to know about it and if I legally had to join. He called me at home and wanted me to go to work and sign up. He suspended me and went on vacation and never told the site manager. The site manager called me 2 weeks later to let me know she heard from other employees what had happened and advised me to get legal council because he couldn’t do that and they owed me all my time off. She asked me to work a shift that night and I did but after that was never put back on the work board. Do I have a case? I am I owed anything for my continued time off?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country joining a union is a voluntary proposition. From what you have written, your suspension for refusing to join the union at work is legally impermissible by your regional manager. I suggest that you carefully read the presumed employer employee handbook that your company has and then consult with an attorney that practices labor law.

You might also want to make a complaint with your local department of labor with respect to your suspension from work and how it came about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.