Can you be revoked if there is no charge?

My boyfriend cashed a fraud check (he did not know it was fraud). It was worth $5,000. His probation officer scheduled a revocation hearing, she said this was a violation to his probation. He is not being charged for this check because he did not receive any money from it because the bank held it. Will he get jail time because of this? Or could his lawyer ask for an ATR (alternative to revocation). I am pregnant with his child and would love for the revocation to be dropped or he get an ATR.

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

While on probation, you are not supposed to come into contact with law enforcement or the criminal justice system period, regardless of whether or not you have been criminally charged for the new offenses. However, because at this point these are all just allegations, most Judges will not actually revoke a probation or issue jail time unless there is more corroborating evidence showing your boyfriend actually committed a crime in this act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.