Can the sole beneficiary “release all interest” in possessions and security deposit left behind by a deceased tenant without interfering with the estate?

The landlord originally asked for written permission to use security deposit to clean out apartment. I’m not executor of the estate (currently there is none) so I don’t have the authority to provide that permission. Now the landlord is asking me, as beneficiary, to “release all interest” in writing, so he can clean out the apartment, while still protecting himself. I want to make this process easier for him but don’t want to do anything to interfere with the estate. Would releasing interest which in turn would give him the ability to use deposit to dispose of things be considered an interference?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I would NOT sign anything if you are not the executor.  Next, family members should be clearing out the apartment and putting the belongings some where safe, not the landlord.  That should be fine (with out knowing more here) until the estate is probatesd and the executor can figure it out.  If you need more time then maybe you could pay one months rent again.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.