Can the father of child take the child to visit grandparents without the consent of the mother?

I have made it clear to my husband that my child can not go anywhere with out me, and much less to visit his family since they dislike me. I do not want my child around his family. Is this wrong? Do i have right to demand that?

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am not admitted in Tennessee, but unless your Husband has a legal restriction placed upon him (like supervised visitation by only you) or on his family then I do not believe that you can limit him from taking his child anywhere and only with you present. He has the same rights you do with your son and he could not place those restrictions on you either.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.