Can my parents’ company be held accountable for my car accident if I used to work there?

I hit someone in a car accident on a motorcycle, and they are now suing me possibly for over my bodily injury liability limit. They pulled up my linked in which I had never change and it stills says I work for my parents company. I don’t and I have never received a paycheck from them. I have myself listed as a senior account executive. My mother and father own the company and I am not listed as an owner or partner on the corporation at all. My mother does pay for

my car note, but from her personal account. Basically, I have no ties to the corporation. Are they in any way liable for my accident?

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A plaintiff can make allegations against anyone... but they still have to prove their allegations which justify liabilty for your parent's company.  Failure to sue the proper party can result in sanctions against the accusing party.
Based on what you have described, your parent's company does not have liability for your accident.  If it is your car and the accident did not occur in the course of your employment for them (mainly because you do not work for them), then your parent's company is safe from liability.
If the car is in your parent's name or if the car was used in the scope of some type of employment for the company, then the company could be liable.
If helping with a car note was a basis of liability, then virtually every parent would become liable for all of the times they have helped their adult children.  Bottom line, this is simply not a basis for liability by itself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.