Can my manager at my apartment have my boyfriend fill out an lease agreement just because he comes over 3 times a week?

My boyfriend and I leave about an hour away from each other and so he comes down about 3 times a week. He does not live with me and doesn’t even have a piece of clothing at my place. They are assuming he lives with me because they see him there when I am at work when he is down to visit. Can they do this?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The manager of the apartment that you are renting can request that your boyfriend sign a written lease for the unit you are occupying. However, he is under no legal obligation to sign it.

Likewise, the manager cannot keep your boyfriend from coming over to your place. The only exception is if he has caused some type of a disturbance in the past.

If the manager pushes the issue, I would write her in response setting forth your position. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.