Can my former employer take out airfare fees and other charges out of my pay for jobs that will be done by a different employee?

I am a photographer who worked without a contract with an agency. I quit while on a trip and now the owner wants me to pay for my flight ticket and also pay her next photographer for any reshoots of the models that I have already photographed. If I take this to the local magistrate is it possible for me to win?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you quit while on a trip. the employer can certainly recover the airfare and other travel costs for any travel you had after you quit--for example, for your return flight.

If the timing and way you quit meant that the shoot was unsucessfu, or was not completed, or that they will have to send someone out for a reshoot, they can recover your airfare and other travel costs out to the location and/or the cost to send someone else there for a re-shoot: basically, they can recover any costs incurred because of your deliberate action in quitting, or any amounts "wasted" due to you quitting mid-trip.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.