Can my employer make me pay the deducible from an auto accident that I had with a company vehicle?

Asked on June 4, 2014 under Accident Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The employer can ask you to pay it. They cannot take it from your paycheck without your consent or agreement--but they can fire you for costing them money and not picking up the expense, which means that it may be better to pay than suffer adverse employment consequences. And, after all, if you were in any way at fault in damaging their vehicle, you would be liable for all their unreimbursed costs (e.g. the deductible).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.