Can my employer force me to take a 21 pay cut and demote me?

Employer told me I was being given a 21 pay cut and demoted. My options were to
accept terms or resign.

Asked on August 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that gurantees your wafge, you are an "at will" worker. This means that your company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable diacrimination). Accordingly, yes, you can be made to accept a pay cut and demotion or face termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.