Can I switch lawyers in the middle of a case?

I had an accident last year about 16 months ago. I was hit by a drunk driver and my car was totaled. My daughter, my husband and I were seriously hurt. The lawyer that my husband got was referred by a friend. For the first month we had to deal with the insurance company ourselves, we had to do our own investigation and we had to pay for the accident report. Now he’s giving us the runaround.

Asked on April 6, 2017 under Personal Injury, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If it's not shortly before trial, you should be able to change lawyers at will, though you should call the judge's clerk to check. If the trial is about to come up, you would have to make a motion and get the judge's approval: courts are reluctant to allow changes in attorney soon before trial, because that disrutps and delays the case. When you do speak to the judge's chambers (the clerk or someone else in the judge's office) to see if need to make a motion or not, stress the conflict with your lawyer and lack of communication; if they do require a motion, make sure to put that into the motion papers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.