Can I sue my employer for negligence?

I work as a floor maintenance technician. Most of the function of my job is to high speed burnish small stores like 7-11. We use a propane buffer. I was always told they were safe to use, but a few weeks ago I started to experience severe headaches and dizziness with a loss of motor function. I had originally thought it was because I had gone too long without eating, but after experiencing it numerous times while working I put the pieces together. I then informed the boss that the machine was leaking CO. He switched it out for a loaner machine and

Asked on November 29, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Since you were injured on the job, you have a worker's compensation claim, which is an alternative to suing your employer for negligence. 
Your employer's human resources department should have the forms you will need to file for workers' compensation. It is advisable to be represented by a workers' compensation attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.