Can I get my tips?

I worked at a Caffe for a while, there is a tip box so we just collect tip
for 2-3 months and then open it and divided by how many you works.
currently, I quit my job yesterday.They 2-3 days ago the tips box, in
this case Can I get my tip money? I worked for last 2-3 months.
If he does not give that my tip money what kind of law action Can I

Also, he hired who is working illegally, like students who is holding F-1
visa. If I report about this does he get pushed as well?

Asked on May 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should receive your share of tips for the time you worked pre-quitting. If the employer will not provide them, you could contact your state labor department to file a wage and hour complaint--they may be able to help you. If they can't or won't, you could file a small claims suit against your employer for the money; a good option would be to file it "pro se," or as your own attorney, to save on legal costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.