Can I file to rescind legal separation in NC myself?

My husband and I have reconciled after legal separation filed 3 years ago and I
want to rescind it. Can this be done without hiring a lawyer and if so how? Thanks,

Asked on April 25, 2016 under Family Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You and your husband can sign and then file a request for dismissal (court form) with the court.
The form may vary from state to state.  Check the appropriate boxes for dismissal of entire case / all causes of action.
If the dismissal is with prejudice, this means the case cannot be reinstated.
If the dismissal is without prejudice, this means the case can be reinstated in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.