Can I file claims agains a university for unnecessary stress

My school refuses to retroactive withdraw a
quarter that I did not attend as I was unaware I
was enrolled due to various circumstances with
my family, education and financial aid. Now it is
negatively affecting my gpa and ability to
continue with my education in pursuit of my
bachelors degree.

Asked on July 7, 2017 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If you were enrolled, then unless the terms of service with the university (agreements under which you attended) guaranty you the right to retroactively withdraw, they do not need to let you withdraw. You have those rights--and only those rights--given you by the relevant agreement(s).
2) In any event, since this grows out of the terms and conditions under which you attended school, it would be a contract case, not a personal injury or tort case. In a contract case, even IF the school were violating your rights under the terms of the contract, there is no recovery or compensation for stress or emotional distress. All you could do would be to enforce the terms of any contract, such as to force them to allow you to retroactively withdraw if you have a guaranteed right to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.