If my girlfriend and I were assaulted while we were sleeping by her ex who has been arrested and his picture was in the newspaper, can I send his employer’s HR department an email of the picture and charges?

He’s being charged with threatening, assault with a deadly weapon, breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony and revenge porn.

Asked on June 10, 2017 under Criminal Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, but don't.
Any person can legally send any non-confidential information to another person. BUT:
1) If you in doing so make or even strongly imply an untrue negative factual statement about him, that will be defamation or the similar tort (thing you can get sued over) of "false light" and he may be able to sue you. Even if that's not the case, the courts don't prescreen lawsuits to make sure they are valid--so he could try to sue even if he doesn't have a viable case, and force you to at least spend time, money, and effort defending yourself.
2) He is obvously violent. Suppose you do this and he is demoted, suspended, or fired--do you really want a violent person, who has already proven he will attack you, out for revenge? And possibly with little or nothing to lose if this ruins his life?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.