Can I buy out my siblings share of my parents property before the estate is settled?

Asked on November 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It's completely possible... just make sure that you hire a probate attorney to make sure that all of the documentation is lined up reflecting the same.  Once the probate is complete, it will determine who gets what.  The taxing authorities may use this to determine who to bill for property taxes... so make sure there is a clean paper trail of who owns the property and that the title and tax records are updated to reflect the same.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.