Can I be withheld from CDCR employment due to medical marijuana?

I was withheld from the examination process because I consumed marijuana in the past 2 years, however I had a medical marijuana card at the time. Is there anything I can do to appeal this?

Asked on May 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, there is nothing you can do: employment, even government jobs, is "employment at will": employers may freely decide who to hire (and who to not hire) so long as they do not discriminate against a protected class or group (e.g. on the basis of race, religion, sex). However, there is no protection for medical marijuana users in the law, so they can choose to not hire for this reason.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.