Can I be fired for filing charges of discrimination against my boss?

I have a new regional manager that was talking about getting her breast augmented in front of my minor employees, made remarks about a pregant 16 year old having her baby in jail and about the race of another employees boyfriends. I already brought my concerns to HR and my COO and was ignored. Now I’m being retaliated against my employer.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with your state equal or civil rights division or department--you may have a claim. It is illegal to retaliate against an employee for bringing a claim of illegal discrimination; the key issue will be whether your complaints were in fact of illegal discrimination. For example, making remarks about another employee's boyfriend may not be considered racial discrimination against you, if you are not that race. The equal or civil rights division can help you understand if your complaints were protected ones, and so whether you have a claim; you might also, in the alternative, speak in detail about the situation with an employment law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.