Can a job offer be rescinded after pre employment drug screening?

I had a car guide job interview with management at a large auto dealer. The
interview went great and I was offered the job. The job requires a background
check and drug screening. I do not use illegal drugs, street drugs, or marijuana. I
do have a prescription medication for an ADHD diagnosis. My medication will not
effect my ability to do my job. It will show on my drug screening. Being that it’s a
drug free workplace and I will be driving vehicles, can I be denied the job?

Thank you,

Washington state resident

Asked on October 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Generally speaking, unless you had an actual written employment for a specified time (e.g. a one-year contract) guarantying you the job, your employment was employment at will and could be rescinded or terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever.
2) Even if you'd had a contract, if the medication could potentially affect your ability to drive, they would be able to legally terminate the contract, because you would not safely be able to do what you'd been hired to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.