Can a jail charge me for my stay there?

I was issued a no bond capias warrant and had to stay 50-60 days in jail because I had no option to bond. I was then released on probation. Can they charge me if I was unable to bond?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You will not be directly charged by the jail for your 50 to 60 day stay in jail because you were unable to post bond. However, if you plead out to a crime and were ordered to pay a fine, the fine indirectly will cover part of your stay at the jail.

If you are out on probation, make sure that you diligently report in with your probation officer. Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.