Can a developer maintain control of covenants, with no provisions for a homeowners assoc. and collect dues in Oklahoma?

Golf course development in OK with covenants for home owners. Covenants do not provide for a home owner association. The covenants require membership to golf course, even though golf course/developer has allowed sections to have option on membership, and only pay home owner dues. Owner/developer just increased dues 86%, even though covenants only allow a 10% increase annually. He advised he increased the assessments over the last 8 years, but did not notify anyone or bill the increase. Owner/developer using dues to maintain golf course,which ideveloper owns.

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The 86% dues increase should be difficult to defend, I would think.  A good real estate attorney should have little trouble dealing with the 8 years' worth of "increases" that were never billed or noticed.  That's hogwash, unless there's some unusual language in the covenants.  One place you can start looking for a qualified lawyer would be our website,

As far as the rest of it goes, whether a homeowners association is required would depend on how the development was set up.  You should take your paperwork to an attorney for review and an opinion on this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.