Can a company keep your earned vacation pay if they terminate you?

I was terminated the day before my vacation was supposed to start. I did not get

paid my vacation hours on my last paycheck and according to corporate I am still

actively employed but they refuse to pay me the hours.

Asked on September 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you had already scheduled or requested vacation, they could officially keep you on payroll (even if they don't let you come in) until after the scheduled vacation is over. That would be consistent with you still being "actively employed" but not receiving any lump sum payment for the hours--though in that case, you would receive pay for that time you were "on vacation" at the next payroll.

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In OH, an employee only has the right to be paid their accrued vacation time if there is a company policy (check your company handbook), a union/collective bargaining agreement or employment contract that says workers will be paid accrued vacation time when they leave.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.