Can a 16 year old get legally emancipated?

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Emancipation is known as "the order of removal of disabilities" in your state. An individual must be at least 16-years-old for it to be granted but it will require a court order and may be limited in scope. You'll need to prove t the court's satisfaction that you can support youself (i.e. provide your own food and housing) among other things. The court will also want to know the reason that your are requesting to be emancipated.

What you should all do now is to consult with an attorney in your area on the best way to proceed with this. If money is an issue, see if your friend qualifies for representation by Legal Aid or see if they can recommend someone to help. Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where you live; they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle these type cases. Additionally, you can contact the local Bar Association in your county; they may have a list of attorneys who will take the case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on income/circumstances.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.