At what hour would an a guest be considered overnight when there is a “no overnight guest of the opposite sex” clause in child custody papers?

Let’s assume there’s no any sleeping involved, just 2 families hanging out and watching TV? And even if there was sleeping involved, someone could sleep from 9 pm to 10 pm, and surely that couldn’t be considered an overnight guest? My papers do not state a curfew.

Asked on September 6, 2010 under Family Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I don't know if there is necessarily an hour component to such limitation in your child custody papers as much as it covers the intent and what the facts look like.  The intent of the limitation is to limit exposure to strangers for the minor children and potential harm as well as to limit the possible mental anguish or confusion that may come from having a parent dating and having someone spend the night when the children may not be of an age to understand.

You may wish to avoid such semantics and simply file a modification or clarification motion to clarify what the permissible parameters would be to allow you to have someone of the opposite sex in your home without unduly harming your child or children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.