A nearby resident is collecting and storing garbage in the apartment. Fire brigade have come twice and removed garbage from gas cooker. We now have an infestation of mice and the smell is horrid. Apartment management committee isn’t taking much action other than fines which are being paid by the neighbour but the garbage collection and storage practice continues

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New York


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you can call the health inspector in on this one, at this point;  I'm a little surprised that this hasn't happened already.

You might also want to talk to a landlord-tenant attorney, about whether the details of this situation are bad enough for you to get a rent abatement (reduction).  If this situation is interfering with the habitability of your apartment, in the eyes of the law, then your landlord is breaking the lease, and you're entitled to something for that.  One place to find a lawyer who can help you with this problem is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.