Amending Arkansas Revocable Trust after moving to Texas?

I’ve got a revocable family trust, created and filed of record in Arkansas. Now we’ve moved to Texas, and need to amend it because we no longer have the real property in Arkansas, but have real property in Texas instead. We also need to modify a list of personal property contained in the trust. Do we have to file some document to revoke the trust in Arkansas and file a new one in Texas at the county courthouse? Can we just amend the old one? Where would you file the amendment or codicil?

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is no codicil for a trust, I'm afraid.  That's only for a will.  What you do with a trust is you reate a restatement of the original trust, and make the necessary changes.  This will (obviously) have a more recent date and it will take the place of the old trust.  You can file a copy with the county courthouse in Texas, and place the new restated trust in a safe place and tell your family members where to find it.  It's a good idea to give a copy to whoever your trustee will be, and your who attorney prepares the restated trust should keep at least one copy in his office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.