Am I entitled a refund if my child decides not to participate in a youth sport prior to the start of season practices?

About 3 months ago, I signed my daughter up to participate on a competition cheer squad. Instead of paying monthly tuition I opted to pay for the season up front ($1,900). Less than 15 days from making the payment my daughter decided she didn’t want to invest the time required of her. Team practice does not begin until next month. I agree that I should be responsible for practice clothes ordered on her behalf. I am being told that I will not receive a refund for a season that has not begun. Do I have legal rights to receive a refund?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under General Practice, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be necessary to read all the agreement involved but my gut instinct is that you would be entitled to at least a partial refund less expenses.  And if they replace her and the other child can wear the uniform, then maybe even that.  Make sure that you gave the proper notice that could be required under the consent form or what ever else you signed.  Make the formal demand again in writing and demand your money back.  Otherwise you may need to go to small claims court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.