1st offense domestic assault

I live in tn the police
were called by the
neighbor claiming i had
assaulted wife but there
were no physical signs and
said they do not need
signs or a victim for the
state to pick it up. Is
this true? I now have
court today. I do not have
a lawyer how do you think
this will play out

Asked on July 10, 2017 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no strict legal need for physical signs of abuse. Certainly, if there are, that can be powerful evidence for the prosecution; and if there are none, it casts doubt on the wife's story and undermines her credibility, and so a lack of physical evidence could lead to an acquittal, or even to the charges being dismissed. But again, technically, they are not needed, and if there is a logical explanation for the lack of physical signs and the wife is a credible witness--especially if she is more credible or believable than you--you can be prosecuted and convicted without physical signs. What will happens will depend on how credible you and she are, and how logical or reasonable her story is, and likewise, how logical or reasonable is your defense or alibi.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.