Are you able to defer child support while you are incarcerated?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are you able to defer child support while you are incarcerated?

My boyfriend was told your can get a deferment while in prison. He was held in contempt with the court order. If so how would you requested a deferment for any period while incarcerated?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Family Law, California


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding whether child support can be suspended while the parent of the child is incarcerated.  You should be aware that this answer can be very different depending on the state laws that govern the child support order.  A person may think that since a person is incarcerated that they do not have the means to continue paying support for the child, but many courts do not agree with that reasoning.  It depends greatly if the state court perceives incarceration as a voluntary or involuntary act.  If someone intentionally commits a crime, some courts believe that the person was voluntarily incarcerated.  Other state courts disagree that people do not commit crimes to be incarcerated to avoid paying child support.

Courts especially frown up individuals incarcerated for avoiding support. The court system does not want to reward someone’s violation of a court’s order to pay support by suspending the responsibility to pay child support, because the individual is imprisoned for avoiding this very responsibility.  Many courts perceive the incarcerated obligors of child support comparable to those obligors that reduce their income by choice.  If someone chose to work a lower paying job to pay less child support, the courts would deny any modification motion to reduce child support payments.  Courts do not want to reward parents for making decisions that negatively affect the well-being of children.

A person can always file for a request to modify a current child support order to reduce or suspend child support payments while they are incarcerated, but the decision will be on a case-by-case basis.  An obligor should not stop payments on their own without the court’s permission, because then they can be held in contempt of the court’s child support order.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption