What to do ifI found a judgement on my credit report?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifI found a judgement on my credit report?

I contacted the rep for the credit card debt and they offered a settlement of the debt and would issue a judgement settlement. This is a debt that I was paying by automatic bank payments that began is 4 years ago but stopped 2 years ago for no reason other than I thought it paid. No one has contacted me since and the holder of this debt has had my address (inquiry shown on my credit report). What are my options? Do I need a GA or FL lawyer (FL case; I am in GA now).

Asked on June 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a bit confused by your question and what you think that you need an attorney for - not that I want to take any food out of my fellow brethren's mouths.  You need to determine if the debt was paid off completely plain and simple.  Do you have the contact information for the credit card company?  Then you need to write them - by certified mail return receipt requested - and ask for a complete accounting of your account.  They are required by law to give it to you.  once you see where you are then you can either re-negotiate the debt or ask for a satisfaction.  Once the matter is satisfied you can send a copy to the credit report agencies and ask them to take it off your report.  If I have missed the mark with this guidance please write back.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption