What to do if I was cheated out of my inheritance?

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was cheated out of my inheritance?

My grandfather passed away 2 years ago while I was still a minor (16 years old). He left a Will stating who he left all of his assets to (most were to me; approximately 20K in savings account as well as his home and vehicles; small amounts to my mother). My grandfather named my stepfather, who is of no relation to me or my family, as the executor of his estate. My stepfather and mother (now divorced) spent all of his remaining money and assets and denied me copies of the Will. I am 18 now and stepdad has filed bankruptcy. What do I do?

Asked on October 26, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You sue--that's what you do. An executor may not take the money from the estate, spent it on him/herself, etc.; the executor is bound to distribute the money as per the will, subject only to paying first just debts of the estate (whether debts of the decedent or debts incurred post-mortem, such as funeral expenses)--which debts could possibly take up the money in the estate.

However again, other than paying just debts, the executor must pay out the money and other assets as per the will; if he does not, he may be sued for the money he misappropriated. (He also possibly committed a crime--a form of theft--as welll.)

You should consult with a trusts and estates attorney to consider your options, rights, and recourse. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption