Wrongful termination and providing details in my personnel file

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wrongful termination and providing details in my personnel file

My employer fired me wrongfully. They have determined that I have enough information to convene an ‘impartial’ review board. However, they are refusing to provide me with my personnel file information in order to produce my statement. How can I get this information?

Asked on July 1, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The personnel file may be about you, but it belongs to the employer; they do not need to provide it to you (the same way you do not need to provide them any notes you made for yourself regarding this issue or your employment generally) unless and only if a legal action (lawsuit) is filed against them and you use the legal process of discovery (e.g. written interrogatories or questions, document production requests, and/or subpoenas) to obtain the file. Only in a lawsuit--not a mediation or "review board"--can production of the file be compelled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption