What can my wife to about a possible wrongful termination?

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can my wife to about a possible wrongful termination?

My wife lost her job as a bank teller after 11 years for just a $10 difference. She had gotten carpul tunnel and the doctor reported it as work-related. Right after her employer received this information she was checked with a fine tooth comb. The night before her discharge she was $5 off her draw; the manager didn’t check her work he just signed off on it. The next day he had my wife audited and found it was $15 off and had her terminated for it. Her supervisor saw where she made her mistake on her computer and could have fixed it. She just placed money in a wrong column.

Asked on March 31, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately under the laws of all states in this country, an employer is terminable at will of an employer unless there is a written contract to the contrary signed by both parties or the employee is terminated as a result of discrimination based upon race, ethinicity, gender and the like.

From what I see that you have written, your wife may have been terminated for cause due to being off on her ledgers at the end of the day. I suggest that in any event she consult with a labor attorney further to see if she has a wrongful termination claim and make a claim for unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption