Can 2 employees receive different disciplinary actions for the same incident?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can 2 employees receive different disciplinary actions for the same incident?

Another co-worker and I were talking about her boyfriend, who also was delivering us lunch. We were joking with each other about him being naked. Another employee overheard us talking and called the corporate office. I was terminated because I made a sexual comment about a delivery person in front of another employee. The other co-worker was written up but kept her job. I have been at the job 6 years with excellent evaluations and no write-ups. The co-worker has been there 2 years with at least 2 previous write-ups. Is there anything I can do about this?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, there probably is nothing you can do. The law does not require employers to treat all employees the same or fairly, except as per below. So as a general matter, if two employees, A and B, do something, the employer could lawfully fire A while only writing up B.

The exception is that certain forms of discrimination are specifically prohibited. For example, if you were treated differently than your co-worker because of you sex, race, age over 40, religion, or disability, you may have a claim for illegal discrimination. If you think this might be the case, you should consult with an employment law attorney to explore your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption