Written contract, buyer not going through with his end

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Written contract, buyer not going through with his end

Wrote up a contract between an old roomate to
take over my trailer. The agreement was money
up front and pay all utility bills until they
got approval from the trailer park and signed
their lease. At that point all bills would be
put in their name and the title would be
signed over. Its been two months and they
have not even attempted to start the approval
process. What can I do? I want this taken
care of and they arent cooperating.

Asked on May 3, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You could sue him for breach of contract: for violating the agreement between the two of you as what he would do. You could potentially get a court order requiring him to go ahead and honor his obligations, and/or get monetary compensation for any costs or losses you incurred (such as any bills which you had to pay, but which under the agreement, he should have paid) due to his breach. Whenever you honor your obligations under an agreement but the other party does not, you have the potential to sue for breach of contract. While there are some exceptions, generally speaking, oral agreements are enforceable the same way writtten ones are (though, of course, it is easier to prove the existence of, and establish or demonstrate the terms of, a written agreement than an oral, or unwritten, one).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption