Write up, Workmens comp

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Write up, Workmens comp

I was attacked at work yesterday, punch in the face, and right forearm clawed. A
co worker attacked me because I was sweeping and said he couldn’t do his job. I’m
being written up because he lied to my foreman, and said i hit him, and there
friends. What can i do about this? I do not feel safe at work now, this is the
third time he has verbally attacked me, last time was because I switched the
radio station, first time he’s gotten physical and cant go to my boss about it.
Also I have TMJ and when he hit me it sent my pain level up and may have to get
injections, hopefully not surgery, can i get workmens comp for this?

Asked on March 15, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You can press charges against the co-worker: assault is a crime.
2) You can sue the co-worker for any medical costs or lost wages you incur and, if you end up with a long-lasting life impairment or disability, for "pain and suffering," too. You can't sue the employer, because an employer is not liable for its employees' criminal acts. (An employer is only liable for acts done in the course of employment; criminal acts are outside employment, since they are not what workers are hired for.)
3) If you are attacked *again* after you have told them about a physical attack, putting them on warning of a physical risk, if the employer did not take reasonable steps to protect you, you may then be able to sue the employer for its "negligent supervision" (not taking reasonable precautions in the face of a known threat).
4) You are unlikely to get worker's compensation for an injury caused by a criminal act, since that would not be a "work related injury"; however, you could try applying.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption