What can be done if my daughter had unnecessary surgery?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my daughter had unnecessary surgery?

I brought my 13 year old daughter into an oral surgeon for a frenectomy procedure. Upon arrival to the surgerical clinic, X-rays were obtained. After X-rays were done, the oral surgeon came in and stated that in addition to the frenectomy, my daughter also needed her wisdom teeth out. He stated if we didn’t do the wisdom teeth removal that day, we would just end up coming back for that in 3 months. The doctor showed me the X-rays which clearly showed all 4 wisdom teeth pushing against the other teeth. With the surgeon’s recommendation, I signed a consent for the wisdom teeth removal and my daughter was taken back for surgery. After surgery, I was called back to speak to the surgeon. I was then told that the surgery went well but there was a problem. He stated that there were 2 other children with the same first name as my daughter in the office that morning and they had looked at the wrong X-rays. He said he quickly discovered the problem when they cut into my daughter’s lower jaw and found no tooth. The surgeon stated that my daughter only had 2 wisdom teeth top only. They removed the top 2 teeth, cut into and restitched the bottom unnecessarily and did the frenectomy. He went on to say that there would be no charge for the procedure. Most of the post-surgical pain and swelling my daughter had was in the bottom jaw where an unnessary cut was made. I am just wondering if this is something I could /should pursue.

Asked on January 4, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Medical malpractice is negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable medical practitioner in the community would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
Prior to filing a lawsuit against the oral surgeon, it may be possible to settle the case with his malpractice insurance carrier.Obtain your daughter's medical report from the surgery.  Your daughter's medical report should be submitted with her malpractice claim to the malpractice insurance carrier.  Ordinarily there would also be medical bills, but since there wasn't any charge, that won't be included in your claim.
The medical report will document the unnecessary surgery and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.
If the case is settled with the malpractice insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed against the oral surgeon.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the malpractice insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit on behalf of your daughter, for negligence against the oral surgeon.
You will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on behalf of  your daughter because a minor cannot file a lawsuit herself.
If the case is NOT settled, the lawsuit for negligence against the oral surgeon must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your daughter will lose her rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption