Would like to know my rights to property that I own with ex-husband?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would like to know my rights to property that I own with ex-husband?

I left the home 4 years ago and in the divorce decree it states that my ex would be responsible for all payments associated with the property until we mutually decided to sell the house (he currently lives there with his new wife and a renter, although my name is still on the house and mortgage). We have touched base about the house a couple of times and both agreed that we shouldn’t sell until the market picks up. He was supposed to contact me back 8 months ago to discuss again and now just 2 weeks ago I received an email that he is ready to sell because he purchased a new house. Do I have a say at all in this matter?

Asked on August 24, 2011 Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have a say in the decision to sell the home that you have an ownership interest in as clearly stated in your marital dissolution decree.

Even though your former husband may want to sell the home that both of you have an interest in and may have signed a listing agreement with a real estate brokerage firm to list it for sale, its sale cannot be completed until you: 1. sign an offer to purchase by a buyer, and 2. sign a grant deed transferring the title to the home out of your and your former husband's names to the buyer.

It sounds like you and your former husband need to have a serious discussion as to both of your desires and intent concerning this asset.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption