Would I have a libel per se case

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would I have a libel per se case

My ex sent a anonymous letter to my job saying they had someone working for them that had violent crimes. Then sent 2 more letters saying they had someone working for them that had a felony drug conviction. She never mentioned my name. The violent crime was false, the drug conviction was true from a long time ago. Her intent was for them to check backgrounds. I didn’t get fired but feel it has harmed me.

Asked on August 9, 2017 under Personal Injury, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You probably do not have a viable case. 
Most importantly, nothing apparently happened to you. When you don't suffer any consequences, even if you sue and win, you typically only get nominal or de minimis compensation--often less than the cost of the lawsuit (I.e. it's about winning a moral victory, not about the compensation.) Remember, civil courts (lawsuits) are primarily about compensation for injuries or losses you suffered, so without negative consequences, there is little or nothing to sue over, since there nothing to compensate you for.
Second, unless you are the only employee (so that there was no need to name you), the fact that she did not mention your name would make it more difficult to show that *you* were defamed.
Third, the drug conviction was true, so that is not defamation at all, so only the violent-felony-related claim *might* support a liable lawsuit, subject, though, to the issues above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption