Would I be eligible for worker’s compensation if the sanitizer I use at work has severely injured my hands after a prolonged period of time?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would I be eligible for worker’s compensation if the sanitizer I use at work has severely injured my hands after a prolonged period of time?

I have worked at this employers for 2 years. After the first 6months I noticed my hands were getting extremely dry and itchy. Eventually my skin started cracking and bleeding and I would experience severe pain after washing dishes, especially after putting my hands in the sanitizer or wiping off the espresso machine steaming wand (required action after completion of every hot beverage) with the sanitizer. I went to the doctor and got diagnosed with eczema and received steroid hand cream, which helped at first. He told me to wear gloves. Eventually after prolonged use of the sanitizer, even gloves don’t help.

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is possible that you would be eligible for worker's compensation, if the use of the sanitizer was required by your job and/or if the expresso machine and its steam contributed to the problem, since in those cases, you suffered your injury at work, from work. You should consider submitting a claim.

You also could possibly have a product liability claim against the sanitizer manufacturer, if you were following all instructions and using it properly but it still  caused your eczema. If you think this was the case, you may wish to discuss the matter in detail with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption