Would I be able to get a loan if I have a foreclosure?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would I be able to get a loan if I have a foreclosure?

I had a foreclosure a couple years ago and I wanted to apply for a loan to get another house. Would I be able to get a loan or maybe do a rent to own?

Asked on November 20, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you can get a loan: there is no law or regulation stating that someone who had a foreclosure cannot get a mortgage or other loan for a home. On the other hand, however, there is also no law requiring a lender to lend to you if you have a foreclosure: lenders can freely decide whether or not to lend. So you need to find a lender willing to lend to you: you will increase the chance of doing so if you pay down other debt first (lowing your debt to income ratio), put down a larger down payment (e.g. 20% or more), and are conservative about how expensive a home you look to buy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption