Would a legal separation benefit me?

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would a legal separation benefit me?

My husband is part of the USMC he and I have been married for under a year we don’t want to be together anymore but don’t want a divorce just yet. We are currently living at separate residents. He is a LC pl and I am a full-time student and am currently unemployed. He says that he doesn’t have to provide me with anything but I am not familiar with the legalities so I’m not sure if that’s true. I was reading about a legal separation and was wondering what all that would entail and what that would do for me. Would (and if so how) an legal separation affect my FAFSA for school? How would if af

Asked on April 17, 2012 under Family Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would have to go through the entire divorce process, including asset division, etc., to get a legal separation. Later, if you want to get a divorce, you would have to file additional paper. People get legal separation instead of divorce for various reasons. Religion, for example.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption