Would a girl be able to press charges on someone if they were to post nude pictures of her on-line?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would a girl be able to press charges on someone if they were to post nude pictures of her on-line?

She was 18 at the time the pictures were taken. She willingly took them herself and willingly sent them to me almost a year ago.I am also 18, and I would not be profiting or making any monetary gain from the pictures being posted.

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you ended up posting online nude photographs of an adult that were sent to you, most likely you would not have to worry about any criminal charges against you, but you very likely could be subject to a civil action by the the girl whose photos you are thinking about posting online.

She could sue you for invasion of her privacy and infliction of emotional distress seeking an injunction as to the posting requiring its removal. Personally, I would not do any posting of this woman online or elsewhere. You should respect her privacy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption