What to do if I’m worried about the money that I have in my savings account being seized?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m worried about the money that I have in my savings account being seized?

I’m a college student. I don’t have a job currently or never filed my taxes. What I am very worried about is my savings account being seized or garnished by the IRS or any other government force. Due to the fact that I have over 20k sitting in it with no proof of a job or any way to prove on how I have that income. I been saving my money since I was 12 and I finally reached an amount that I

was not comfortable with keeping in my home, so that’s why I put my money in the bank to keep it safe. However, now I am even more scared.

Asked on December 11, 2017 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless you fail to pay your taxes, or give someone grounds to sue you and win, getting a court judgment against you, or owe child suport or alimony, or got the money through criminal means (e.g. drug sales), your money cannot simply be "seized." There needs to be some legal reason--which means some wrongdoing you did--which lets a government agency (IRS) or the courts take your money. Simply not having "proof" of how you got the money by itself does *not* give anyone grounds to take it: rather, there must be proof of the wrondoing, etc. which would let the government or courts seize or take the money. So unless you are aware of some wrongdoing you have done, there is no reason to fear this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption