work visa

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

work visa

hello, my name is Joe. i would like to know how to get a work visa. i have an
employer, he wants to hire me. he told me to find out about how i can stay working
for him. originally i’m from Russia, and i have tourist visa. what should i do first?
where to go to start this process? and what documents do i need?

Asked on December 8, 2018 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is not anything you can do now because there are no work visas available for the current fiscal year and a new petition will not be able to be filed on your behalf until April 1 and that is subject to being selected in a lottery and the earliest possible start date of employment would be October 1, 2019, if your petition is selected in the lottery and then approved.  Unless your employer is such that it is not subject to the annual work visa cap, you cannot obtain a work visa sooner than that.  Can you please clarify what type of company your employer is, what your position is and what your background is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption