Wisconsin Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

With a little guidance to help you along, you will discover that changing your name in Wisconsin is something you can do on your own. The general requirements consist of filing forms with the court, paying a fee, and attending a hearing. The information below will help simplify the process.

What forms are required for a Wisconsin name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Wisconsin:

  • Petition for Change of Name
  • Order for Hearing
  • Notice of Hearing
  • Order for Changing of Name

These formscan be found on the Wisconsin County Legal Forms website.

NOTE: The standard Wisconsin state name change forms to be filed in WI Circuit Courts are not available online. See the “Wisconsin Courts Self-Help Center” link at bottom for information on how to obtain the correct forms.

Where do I file the forms for a Wisconsin name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Petition will need to be notarized, but the clerk may notarize the Petition for Change of Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Wisconsin?

Yes. There will be a filing fee that varies by court. Check with the clerk to determine the cost. Often the court will grant a fee waiver with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date and time for your court hearing when you file your Petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. The Notice of Hearing must be published once a week for at least three consecutive weeks prior to the hearing.

Important Links:

Directory of Wisconsin County Legal Forms

Wisconsin State Law Library Page on Name Changes

Wisconsin Courts Self-Help Center on Name Changes

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption