UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I live in louisiana my mother and father have 7 living children. my father died in 2002. they had bought a mobile home together. now my mother wants to sell the mobile home and we know we all have to sign because it is still under my fathers name, she wants to use the moey to buy a house make a will and leave everything to my youngest sister. can she do that?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although I am not licensed in LA and advise calling a local attorney regarding this transaction but as a general rule if your parents bought the Mobile home together unless your fathers will specifically left his half to the children and made clear it would not directly go to his wife than on average the marital property owned jointly becomes the sole property of the remaining spouse

AS I said double check with a local attorney but if this is the case than no one has to sign because your mother has the right to do this. Furthermore she has the right to do whatever she chooses with her assets leaving them to and choosing not to leave them to whomever she pleases

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption