Will one state extradite me for a felony DUI warrant in another state?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will one state extradite me for a felony DUI warrant in another state?

Asked on August 25, 2011 Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are have an outstanding felony bench warrant issued in another state for failure to attend a court appearance where you were charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance and are stopped by law enforcement in another state, there is a very good chance that the outstanding warrant will pop up in the resulting check of your name and driver's license from the nationwide crime computer system most law enforcement agencies utilize in this country.

If this happens, the officer who stopped you is legally obligated to arrest you on the outstanding warrant. If you are arrested, you will be taken to jail and most likely an extradition proceeding will be filed against you by the state where you have an outstanding warrant unless you waive the extradition proceeding.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption