Will the state of IL issue an out of state warrant for a felony DUI if you don’t go to court and can you be extrdited back?

UPDATED: May 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will the state of IL issue an out of state warrant for a felony DUI if you don’t go to court and can you be extrdited back?

My attorney told me that if I left the state they would not extridite me back for a DUI and they would not come looking for me, they would just wait for me to get into trouble again (provided I don’t go to court).

Asked on May 30, 2009 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

That's pretty much it.  They won't extradite from another state and they won't come looking for you,  but if you get into any trouble whatsoever that could be it.  This would include getting stopped for something as inconsequential as a minor traffic violation.  Even if you have an employment background check this could all come up and you could be turned in; at the very least you certainly won't get hired. 

Warrants don't expire.  This will affect you for the rest of your life.  Bottom line take care of this.  It's not as though you robbed a bank.  Yes, a DUI is a criminal charge and some jail time might be involved.  No matter, it makes no difference, you must handle this.  The sooner the better.  Voluntarily contacting the authorities will weigh heavily in your favor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption